Monday, October 26, 2009

A weekend in movies...

Rawr!
This weekend I saw two incredible movies. The first: Where the Wild Things Are. The majority of people I've talked to that have seen it did not like it. I became very discouraged last week as more and more people were telling me that it sucked. Then I talked to a friend of mine, and she told me: "The people who hate this movie do not enjoy art and music in the same way that we do." This gave me hope (thanks Lori!), and I can confirm that after seeing it Saturday afternoon, it is most definitely one of my top 5 all-time favorite movies. Indeed, WtWTA is now amongst the ranks of Goonies, The Princess Bride, Wit, and Mary Poppins. For those who say the movie is "dark"... "depressing"... "not for kids"... "scary", I have one question: have you read the book? It was dark, scary, and depressing in 1988... and that was ok back then. Why are (some) parents so quick to sugar-coat everything nowadays? I think if I had a child I'd read the book to them when they were small and let their imagination run "wild" with it, and give the movie to them when they were much older. I found the movie extremely touching and Karen O & the Kids' soundtrack is incredible. Here's a link to the single "All is Love." I've also become very fond of Karen O's rendition of Daniel Johnston's "Worried Shoes," as it is a wonderful fit for the movie/soundtrack. I'm just proud that I only cried (hard) once during the film...

Ég elska þig Sigur Ros
A slightly angry colon kept me in the house Saturday night, so Brad and I watched the Sigur Ros documentary Heima(translation: "Home") I Netflix'd a while back. The band played a series of free, unannounced shows throughout Iceland and filmed segments of beautiful scenery set to their music. Well, I only wish it had made it to the top of my queue sooner, because it was amazing. Here's a clip:

I strongly suggest you watch this. It left me with a desire to surround myself with nature and art and music, and even more, to go to Iceland. Unfortunately tickets to Iceland are $1200, so at this point in my life I may have to settle for a bangin' wool sweater made there...

Well, I hope you all had a great weekend. Being that it's 2:45am and I have to be at work by 8:30, I am going to attempt to sleep again. My body is all out of whack after the weekend (I just couldn't sleep until I wrote this blog), so I predict fatigue throughout the day tomorrow. I will be sleepily listening to Sigur Ros, dreaming of the black sand beaches of Iceland.

Goodnight friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live their DVD, it never fails to put me in a great mood.
~Collin